Monday 20 September 2010

The Girl Experiment: Mary Poppins' Bag

Julie Andrews was the ultimate "girl" in Mary Poppins. She embodied femininity, grace, determination, and organization while embracing singleness and demanding respect. She was the total package. As was her bag.

Mary Poppins' bag was truly the total package. When she arrived at the home of Jane and Michael Banks she carried only her sturdy handled bag and her famous umbrella. As she unpacked, she pulled out all manner of items. A lamp, a coat rack, shoes... It seems all Mary Poppins could need resided magically in her handy, lightweight carpetbag.

My snakeskin purse may not be quite as sturdy, but I can't help but feel that I am carrying around Mary Poppins' bag. I will dig for hours in search of my keys only to find my hand going deeper and deeper into the infinite space below. I will tell friends that, "No, I do not have a safety pin" after thoroughly scouring the insides of my seemingly normal sized purse only to find three in plain sight later that day. My bag is a mystery.

But in the spirit of the girl project I decided to unleash the contents of my purse, get organized, and finally discover the mystery of this alternate dimension.

Here are the results:


Let's take a closer look, shall we? The contents of my bag include, but are not limited to:

10 pens, 3 belonging to Elevation

Two Tom Petty tickets

An assortment of programs, fliers, and notes.

My passport


1 bracelet

A copy of The Bluest Eye

An entire pile of trash

Lipgloss

Two lipsticks

Two cameras

Camera charger

48 toothpicks

A gift certificate to The Cheesecake Factory from 2003

Hand sanitizer

A metal lamp rod (told you I was Mary Poppins)

A destroyed tampon

Almond butter

$1.18 in change

40% coupons at Banana Republic

Hairspray

An empty pack of gum

Loose gum

A lighter

Fingernail clippers

Safety pin

One pair hot pink, leopard print Hanky Panky thongs

A mutilated cigarette (I don't smoke)

And...a receipt from Trader Joes, perfectly in tact, from last year

I mean, honestly, what else could a girl need?

Forging On!

1 comment:

  1. Love it Katie! Keep writing. And I am still waiting on your novel. Also, I must say that the contents of my purse are similar, except for one distinct thing- no Hanky Pankies in my purse, just some "Tinkabull" (Tinkerbell)panties for my 2 yr old. These make for some interesting looks when I am digging for my wallet or keys in line somewhere and I have no children with me at the time.

    ReplyDelete